After a heart event we know your life will have changed dramatically. You don’t have to go through recovery alone. North Idaho Cardiac Rehabilitation (NICR) is the first Pritikin-certified Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation provider in Idaho, brought to you with the evidence that you can get back to the things you love and live a healthier life.
Traditional vs Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation
Traditional Cardiac Rehabilitation: maximum of 36 sessions, primarily focused on exercise.
Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation: 72 sessions total. 36 sessions focused on exercise, 36 sessions focused on education involving the 3 pillars of the Pritikin Program.
Pillars of the Pritikin ICR Program
- Improved cardiovascular endurance
- Increased strength
- Improved flexibility
- Enhanced overall health
- Affordable and satisfying meals
- Successful weight management
- Label reading guidelines
- Simplified cooking and dining out
- Stress and anxiety management
- Communication skills improvement
- Effective goal-setting
- Smoking cessation.
History of Pritikin
In the 1970s, Nathan Pritikin, an inventor with a passion for nutrition and fitness, began testing his then-revolutionary theory that heart disease could be treated with lifestyle changes. He believed that diet and exercise, not drugs and surgery, should be the first line of defense against cardiovascular disease. Numerous studies have documented the Pritikin program’s ability to lower blood cholesterol levels, improve blood pressure, control blood sugar, and reduce other lifestyle-related risk factors
Benefits of Pritikin Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation:
*Data based on averages in studies. For more information, ask us.
- Decreased LDL cholesterol by 23% and reduced triglycerides by 33%
- Chronic Inflammation reduction (C-reactive protein) by 40% in 2-3 weeks
- Fasting glucose among Type 2 Diabetics decreases 19% within 3 weeks
- Systolic and diastolic blood pressures falls 9% within 3 weeks-program reduces or eliminates need for blood pressure medications
- Overweight adults lose 7-11 lbs within 3 weeks
- 68% adults eliminated angina, and were angina-free five years later
Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation Qualifications:
- No time limit:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Current stable angina pectoris
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty/stenting
- Heart or heart-lung transplant
- Chronic heart failure ****
- Within the preceding 12 months
- Acute myocardial infarction